Kelly did not have a lot of options to select from this month. Apparently there are not many restaurants in St. Louis that begin with the letter U. Luckily, she was able to find one that sounded good and we had never been to before: Uptown Cafe. Uptown Cafe is located in downtown Clayton next to a bar that Kelly and I used to go to often before it closed a couple of years ago. Neither of us realized this little cafe was even there! The cafe is small and there were not a lot of people there, but it was obvious that it's a popular place for people who live/work nearby to pick up dinner on their way home. I got the feeling that there are a lot of "regulars".
Our server was friendly and the menu had a bigger selection that I anticipated of salads, sandwiches, pasta and pizza. Kelly I selected the Manhattan Bruschetta to start with: A blend of artichokes, aged cheddar cheeses, fresh parmesan and minced garlic on a toasted baguette. Although it was a little different than what we expected, more like a loaded garlic bread than bruschetta, it was delicious and we had no problem polishing it off! For dinner we chose to share The Bronx pizza: barbecue chicken, red onion and roasted sweet red peppers topped with aged cheddar cheeses. They offer hand tossed or thin crust and we tried the hand tossed. The pizza was very good. The crust was soft and chewy and tasted homemade. The toppings were good and it wasn't too heavy on the cheese. After our carb heavy dinner we were both stuffed! We enjoyed Uptown Cafe and I told Jason we will have to go there for lunch sometime. Now that I know it's there, we might even become one of those "regulars".
Monday, November 7, 2011
Restaurant of the Month: U
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment