So it's official. As of 8:10 pm on Friday February 8, 2008 Lauren and I are engaged!
Here's the story through my eyes:
I started planning this last July shortly after an unfortunate incident involving two bats and some wonderful vaccinations. Due to the uninvited roommates that Lauren had acquired in her Maplewood apartment Lauren and I found ourselves staying at the Ross Inn. Fortunately this gave me the opportunity to ask Lauren's mom for her Aunt Donna and Uncle Bruce's contact information (they happen to be in the fine jewelry business...at least that is what the inside of the ring box would suggest) So I contacted them to help me with the ring. They live in Springfield, Illinois so everything was done over the phone and through email. Over the course of many emails we worked out the details and the ring arrived just in time. But I'm getting ahead of myself. After initially speaking to Donna about the ring, my overactive brain started planning the details of how I was going to ask. The first decisions were easy: I was going to ask her on a random day so that she would not see it coming and to add to the surprise I would tell her that I was out of town. Considering that Lauren and I met in Columbia while attending Mizzou (for anyone who lives elsewhere, I'm referring to the University of Missouri) my initial thought was to somehow orchestrate a proposal there. (just as an aside: Lauren and I met in Finance class, which neither of us cared for but are ultimately happy that we attended) So I called Lauren's best friend Kelly and asked her to go to lunch. The lunch was successful enough to hatch a plan in which Kelly would ask Lauren to go to a basketball game at Mizzou, after the game they would go to the Pasta Factory (our favorite eating establishment in Columbia) for dinner where I would be waiting at the table for her ready to propose (and to eat a delicious meal). Needless to say, thanks to a wonderful 35th wedding anniversary party being held for Lauren's Aunt Patti and Uncle Paul, the plan had to be altered.
Since I was already going to be "out of town", I contrived another plan which ultimately turned into the story that Lauren will probably tell 1 million times before the end of this week. I "left for Chicago" on Thursday. Its funny, because Chicago is eerily similar to my parent's house in St. Charles, MO. I actually looked up flight numbers and times and gave them to Lauren, fully knowing that she would check them regularly to ensure that my flight was on time. (if you haven't noticed yet, I pay attention to detail) Several phone calls and text messages later Lauren was fully convinced that I had crossed the state line into the Land of Lincoln. On Friday I spent the day keeping my mom and my sister from stealing the ring which now comprised the majority of my life savings. I also visited my Grandma and Grandpa Griesenauer. They were very pleased with the news and my Grandpa offered to come with me. When I told him no thanks, he asked if I was scared she would say yes to him and no to me (no one found the joke funnier than my soon-to-be 86 year old Grandpa and that says a lot because everyone else I have told it to has been doubled over in laughter). Anyways, after the visiting I had to pick up the dozen roses and champagne. After Kelly informed me via text message that Lauren had made it to Houlihans I went to our condo in Brentwood Forest and put the props for the night into place. I then took on the unbearable task of impatiently waiting across the street in my car (I'm pretty sure that some elderly women thought I was stalking them). Some text messages were traded and then a phone call came from Kelly telling me that they were on their way. When Lauren arrived Kelly stayed outside "on the phone". She opened the door to find a note with her name on it. The note instructed her to go to the bedroom to find a present which had been delivered by my sister Erin because I was sorry for not being able to attend the anniversary party the next day in Decatur. After some coaxing from Kelly to go inside, Lauren followed the wishes of the note and walked into the bedroom to find a dozen red roses and another note. At this same time a hilarious scene took place on the street outside. The door closed and Kelly and I simultaneously sprinted across the street. Kelly to her car and me to the doorstep. The note that Lauren found on the roses told her that I had wanted her to enjoy her Valentine's day flowers all week long and that there was another surprise waiting for her in the mailbox. When Lauren opened the door, she found me on one knee. Even though I was so nervous a light breeze could have blown me over, I managed to tell her that I loved her and asked her to marry me. Lauren's reaction was priceless. In between "oh my God!" and "what are you doing?!" she squeezed in a "yes!". After a few hugs and kisses, Lauren quickly realized that Kelly was no longer around. She called her up and demanded that she return immediately. We drank some celebratory champagne and then headed to Carondolet Bar & Grill in Clayton where family and friends were waiting to celebrate with us. We were both so happy that everyone could be there and agreed that it just added to a perfect night.
Sunday, February 10, 2008
New Beginnings
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Just beautiful guys! We are SO happy for you and plan on celebrating this weekend with you in St. Louis! Welcome to the family Jason!!
Sister, Scott and Millie
Jason, I just fwd your blog address to Jeff and told him that you are just so darn cute, I wish I could marry you! My apologies to both my darling niece Lauren and my loving husband.
Welcome to the wacky side of the family,
Love, Barb, Jeff and boys
Post a Comment