My latest wedding project is to find music for the reception. Jason and I are going back and forth about whether we should hire a live band or a DJ. My initial thought was a live band for sure. I really like the atmosphere that they bring. However, they also bring a hefty price tag! We interviewed a DJ company last night and will interview another next week. I have also been researching several local wedding bands. My biggest concern about a DJ is that we will wind up with some cheesy guy who ends up doing stand up between songs. I want the music to do the work and keep our guests entertained all night, not the DJ. However, I also know that if we find a good DJ who will respect what we want this this shouldn't be an issue.
People always say that the two things that they remember most about weddings are the music and the food. So...I thought the blog would be a good place to get some opinions. Does anyone care to share their experiences (good and bad) with bands/DJs, either from their own weddings or ones they have attended?
Wednesday, May 7, 2008
Band vs. DJ
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
You can do no wrong if you hire a PhDJ!
Ben and I had a very unpleasant experience with the DJ we hired for our reception- he abruptly went out of business and left town the week of our wedding! Ben spent the morning of our wedding locating a new DJ.
The worst part was that Ben and I had spent a great deal of time typing out lists of songs we liked and other preferences for our original DJ. By the time we hired a new DJ the day of the wedding, we were back at Square One and the lists we had created were in Urbana. We quickly tried to bring the new DJ up to speed, but it wasn't the same. The most obvious mistake on his part- or lack of clear communication on our part, I guess- was that he had us do the tackiest garter toss I've ever seen (handcuffs were involved) even though I had been very, very clear the entire time that we planned the wedding that I wanted no part of something like that. Without checking with us, he also opened up the microphone to anyone who wanted to say something. This was fine, except that it altered the schedule for the rest of the night and my dad ended up needing to pay some of the staff of the reception hall overtime. It also meant that Ben's friend Jason got a hold of the microphone...not a good idea!
Despite the headache and stress, I am still glad we went with a DJ. We were so young when we got married that the DJ was able to help make the reception really fun. I had so much fun dancing and singing on the dance floor with all of my bridesmaids!
Some of the nicest wedding receptions we've been to have
had a band, though. I think you'll have a wonderful time either way.
Post a Comment