Wednesday, September 22, 2010

1/2 Marathon Training: Week 10

Well last week was not good on the running front. I came down with a pretty nasty cold and I just wasn't able to fit in all of my runs. I attempted to do an 8 mile long run but wasn't able to complete it. I was a pretty pathetic sight. I stuffed tissues in my tank top and was pulling them out every few minutes to blow my nose while running. By the end of 5 miles my breathing was shallow and labored and Jason agreed that it was time to stop. I'm glad I was able to do that much but I was dissapointed that I wasn't able to do more even though I know it's best to listen to your body. It's very frustrating that I got sick so close to the race when it's most important to focus on training. I'm hoping to be back to 100% by the weekend so I can do my final long run before tapering next week. I can not believe that the race is less than two weeks away! I'm really hoping that this set back will not effect my race day performance but if it does it does and there's not much I can do about it. I need to remind myself that the goal is just to finish and that in itself is a huge accomplishment! I've trained hard and done my best to get in shape. After a run last week, Jason turned to me and said "I'm about to give you the biggest compliment I can give another runner: you are a runner. You run when you don't really want to, your technique and form have improved to the point where I no longer have to give you tips. You are a runner."
That means a lot to me coming from Jason who has been a runner most of his life! If nothing else, I know I have achieved my original goal of turning myself into a runner!

No comments: