Thursday, September 30, 2010

1/2 Marathon Training: Almost there

The 1/2 marathon is now 3 days away and I'm starting to really freak out. Yesterday I was a nervous wreck and I think I was driving Jason crazy with my contant questions and worries. I knew I would get nervous but I didn't know my anxiety would kick in so soon. However, it's all been made worse by the fact that my knee has been bothering me ever since we did our 10 mile run last weekend. During that run I felt an ache in the outside of my left knee about halfway through. I was able to push through it and it didn't bother me afterwards at all. The next time I went out for a run, it ached the entire 4 miles. Again I pushed through it but I was really beginning to worry that it would be a problem for the race. I stretched and iced it and loaded up on Advil. Yesterday, I iced it a couple of times and thought I would be ok to go out for another short run. This time I was not able to push through it. The pain was much sharper and I knew it would be better to walk instead of push it and risk making it worse. So no more running for me until the big day. I've done some research and it seems like this may be a common runner injury called Iliotibial band syndrome. Everything that I've read has said that it can take a month or more to heal and running should be avoided. I'm pretty scared that it's going to be very painful on Sunday and I'm either not going to be able to finish the race or that I'm not going to finish to my potential. I've worked so hard to prepare for this race and it's incredibly frustrating to think that it may have been for nothing. I know the overall goal is to finish, but I really was expecting to do well and finish within a certain amount of time and now I don't know if that will happen. Jason told me to stay positive over the next few days and rest, stretch and ice and everything should be ok. I really hope that he is right!

3 comments:

Natalie said...

You'll be great...just try to relax and enjoy the experience! And remember, the 1/2 marathon isn't just about the race this weekend...it's also about the journey in getting there! (That's what I keep telling myself to stay calm for next weekend's Chicago marathon)

Lauren said...

Thanks for the encouragement Natalie! You're right, it's about the journey and my husband keeps telling me that but I don't always listen to him ;) Good luck at the Chicago Marathon!!!

Anonymous said...

Natalie is right - it's all about the journey. No matter what happens Sunday, you've met the challenge and become a "runner". No small accomplishment.

Dad