I am anticipating 2010 will be much quieter for us than 2009. Our calendar for January is practically empty which is kind of nice! It's hard to believe that we have entered a new decade. 10 years ago I was 17 and in high school. 1o years ago I would have predicted that I would be married, have a house and maybe even a child, and be working my dream job by this point in my life. It's funny to think back about your perception of your future self. For some reason I always thought I would be taller when I got older ;) I was pretty accurate for the most part. I have the husband and the house and would like to start a family within the next couple of years. The one thing that I don't have is the dream job. So I have decided that 2010 is the year that I am really going to focus on myself and figure out what that dream job actually is and pursue it to the fullest.
I fell into my current career path by chance. I got an internship in the procurement department at Anheuser-Busch after I graduated. Things naturally progressed and now I'm a buyer in corporate purchasing at a different company. Prior to my internship I didn't even know what procurement was and now I feel like it's the only thing I am qualified to do. Problem is I really don't enjoy it. I've been in my current role for 2 1/2 years and it's time to move on. While I don't really know what I want to do, I do know what I don't want to do. I want to get out of procurement and likely out of corporate America all together. I thought that was the world I wanted to belong to, but I've found that it's not for me. I'm not agressive enough (I've been told this time and time again) and don't enjoy sitting in an office all day.
So my new year's resolution/goal is to take some time to really figure out what I'm good at and what my passion is. I want a job that is challenging but that I love, or even just like, going to everyday. Do you like your job? How did you figure out what career was right for you?
No comments:
Post a Comment