When Jason and I got engaged I was not sure that I wanted to take his last name. Let's be honest, Ross to Griesenauer is quite a change! My reasons for not wanting to make the change had a lot to do with losing my sense of identity. I've had this name my whole life, 27 years to be exact, and I really could not imagine going by anything else. I was so often referred to by my last name or some version of it in high school and college that it really was just as much a part of my identity as my first name. If I changed my name it seemed like that person would no longer exist. Changing it would mean I would no longer share a common name with my parents or siblings, but not changing it would mean I would not share a common name with my husband or future children. Jason never pushed the issue and said he would be supportive of my decision either way.
A month or so before the wedding I finally decided that I would change my name. In the end it was important to me that Jason and I share a last name and I thought it would complete our union and really make us a family. And although Jason never said one way or the other, I do think it was important to him too and I think he may have been a little dissapointed if I had decided to keep my name.
About a month after the wedding I went to the DMV and Social Security office and legally had my name changed. I was still a little hesitant to make the change, but as I was walking out of the DMV with my new license I looked at my new name spelled out and just got a huge smile on my face. I was actually really happy to officially be a Griesenauer! Jason was out of town for business at the time. Even though I had told him I was going to change my name, I'm not sure he really believed me. When he got home from his trip I told him I had something to show him and pulled out my new license. He also got a huge smile on his face and seemed really happy that I actually went through with it!
It's been a bit of a process to get everything changed i.e credit cards, bills, accounts etc. and there are still many things that are in my maiden name. But legally it's changed and that's all that matters. It's been an adjustment introducing myself to people as Lauren Griesenauer but I'm getting used to it. I have to confess that spelling this sucker is not easy. When Jason and I first started dating it took me a while to learn how to spell his last name. I thought I had it down, but the first time I tried to spell it out loud for someone I totally messed up! I was leaving a message for someone at work and had to start over and spell it again and explain that I had just gotten married. How embarassing! It's going to be a feat to teach our children how to spell their name someday!
I am happy that I decided to take Jason's last name and in the end I have found that changing my name did not change my identity but only added to it.
Wednesday, December 9, 2009
What's in a (last) name
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment