Friday, March 26, 2010

Restaurant of the Month: B

This month Kelly and I took dinner club to a hole in the wall pizza joint, Blackthorn Pub. I'd heard great things about their deep dish pizza and had to give it a try myself. Blackthorn is located in the Tower Grove area and popular with locals. It's literally a hole in the wall bar complete with graffiti walls, paper plates and only a handful of tables. The menu is on the table and consists of two things: pizza and salad. That's it. The pizza is so good that they don't even need to sell anything else - well except beer of course - and they have plenty of that! Kelly and I settled on a green pepper and onion deep dish pizza and headed to the bar to place our order. We got a pitcher of beer and settled into our booth. They said it would take about 45 minutes for the pizza, but I think it ended up only being about 30. Although I've heard the wait on Friday and Saturday nights can be up to 2 hours! The wait was worth it! The pizza was delicious! The sauce is not your traditional tomato sauce and has more of a kick to it which I liked. The toppings were actually embedded between layers of cheese as well as on top. It was super cheesy and pretty heavy even with the light toppings but that is to be expected with deep dish. Kelly and I each had 2 pieces and could not eat anymore. Jason was happy to devour the leftovers within 10 minutes of me bringing them home ;)

This isn't our pizza but is a Blackthorn pizza. Mmmm.

A total dive bar, but with great pizza!

1 comment:

LC said...

I have always wanted to go to Blackthorn...I have heard wonderful things. I need to get Mike to take me soon!!!