Monday, March 22, 2010

Would You Buy This?

I am wrapping up my writing class this week and have really enjoyed it. I feel like I got a lot out of it and learned how to effectively write for children. Our final assignment was to revise one of our previous writings. I submitted a revised version of a story I wrote called, The Day You Were Born. My teacher really liked it and is urging me to submit it to a publisher! I was so excited when she told me that she couldn't wait to see my book on the shelves. What?! I mean I like to write and I think I'm ok at it, but to think that I could actually publish a book and see it on the shelf at Borders is mind blowing to me. So, before I start trying to market my book, I thought I'd test it out here first. This would be a picture book for babies/toddlers. Try to imagine beautiful pictures that will go along with it (illustrators are usually picked by the publisher). Here it is:

The Day You Were Born

The day you were born, I woke up early feeling you moving around in my tummy. Daddy joked that maybe you were having a dance party in there, but I knew it wouldn’t be long before I got to meet you.

The day you were born, Daddy took me to the hospital and the doctor told us that very soon we would have a new member of our family.

The day you were born, Daddy held my hand as we waited for you.

The day you were born, Daddy and I heard you cry as you entered the world. Everyone cheered as the doctor held you up. You were finally here!

The day you were born, the nurse placed you in my arms wrapped tightly in blanket and a little hat to keep your head warm. Daddy called you his little burrito.

The day you were born, Daddy couldn’t stop smiling. He called the whole family to announce your arrival! Everyone was excited and wanted to know all about you; your name, how much you weighed and if you looked more like mommy or daddy.

The day you were born, Grandma and Grandpa came to the hospital to meet you. They couldn’t believe how tiny you were! Grandpa held you in the palm of his hand and kissed your forehead. Grandma had tears of joy in her eyes as she cradled you in her arms.

The day you were born, I thought you were the most beautiful thing I had ever seen.

The day you were born, I couldn’t stop rubbing my finger against your pink, velvety cheek.

The day you were born, I twirled your silky tufts of hair between my fingers.

The day you were born, I counted your ten little fingers and ten tiny toes over and over again.

The day you were born, you looked up at me with deep blue eyes that reminded me of Daddy.

The day you were born, I nuzzled my nose up to your neck and breathed in the sweet smell only a new baby has.

The day you were born, you scrunched up your face and let out a wail to let me know you were hungry. You had a big appetite from the start!

The day you were born, I watched you sleep on my chest, your mouth forming a perfect little O.

The day you were born, my heart was filled with more love that I could have ever imagined possible.

The day you were born, I was the happiest mommy in the world.



So, what do you think? Would you buy this for your kid? A friend's kid? Any kid? Jason thinks this would be a great gift for a new mom. I think he's right, but we both might be a little biased. I know the chances of getting published are probably slim to none and it will not be easy process regardless, but I'm excited to try and happy to have created soemthing that at least one person thinks is worthy of Borders bookshelves ;)

2 comments:

LC said...

Yes please :) I'll buy one! I promise! It is beautiful and just a perfect gift for a new family.

Scott said...

I think it is great and definitely publishable. Go for it!