Another week of running down. I got a little off schedule but managed to complete all of my runs for the week. Jason was out of town over the weekend and I had a very lazy, unmotivated couple of days so I did my long run, 6 miles, Monday night. It worked out well because it finally cooled off! It was really nice running outside after being on the treadmill for the majority of the past couple of weeks due to the heat. I get a little nervous each time I have to add mileage but I surprised myself again and ran the entire 6 miles without stopping - almost half of the total mileage of the upcoming race - in a time of 1:04:53! When I started training I didn't think there was any way that I would be able to run the entire half marathon, but now I'm beginning to believe that I just might be able to do it. Running is definitely mind over matter for me and I came to the realization that my legs will keep moving as long as I tell them to. I have learned to focus on my breathing and pace to tell me how I'm doing and kind of go into auto pilot after the first couple of miles. I don't even think about what my legs are doing - I just tell myself to keep going until I reach my goal mileage. I'm hoping this mindset will carry me through 13.1 miles!
I'm still having the weird tingly sensation in my left foot around 2.5-3 miles. I've learned to deal with it by running up on my toes every so often and although it's incredibly annoying (and other runners probably think I'm a weirdo!) it seems to eventually start feeling better around the 4 mile mark. I've also been taking Glucosamine for a couple of weeks now and have noticed that my knees and heels aren't quite as stiff. A good dose of Advil after a long run helps keep me loose too.
All in all I'm very happy with how my training is going. I really am proud of myself for coming this far. I would not have guessed that I would get so into it or enjoy it as much as I am. It's been a long time since I've trained for any kind of physical competition and I forgot how much an end goal can motivate me.
Tuesday, August 17, 2010
1/2 Marathon Training: Week 5
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment