Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Luau

Jason and I had our family and friends over to celebrate my birthday with a backyard Luau. It's been almost a year since Jason and I went to Maui for our honeymoon and I want to go back so bad. That's not going to happen for a while so we figured why not have a Luau here instead. We had so much fun! We started with dinner and cake with our families before our friends joined us for the "real" party ;)
On the menu:

  • Chicken Enchilada Roll-Ups - This was the second time I've made this recipe and it was a huge hit again!
  • Roast Beef Roll-Ups - an old standby recipe that I got from Jason's mom. Again very simple to make and always a hit.
  • Aloha Chicken Kabobs - We added red peppers and bacon to the skewers. Delicious!
  • Aloha Sweet Potatoes - This was the first time I made this recipe. I'm not sure it came out exactly how it was supposed to but it was still good!
  • Pasta Salad - I revised this a little bit. I used a sun-dried tomato vinaigrette and ran out of time so I didn't skewer the ingredients. I let the tortellini, tomatoes, and mozzarella marinate in the dressing for a couple of hours and then served it in a big bowl. So simple and I got tons of compliments on it!
  • Fruit Salad
  • A delicious black bean, mango salsa that my brother-in-law made. I need to get that recipe!
  • And of course cake! My mom made a yummy Almond Cake with Strawberry/Rhubarb topping.
  • Oh and how can I forget the Mai Tais! Jason made these up and they were tasty but whoa they were strong!
I found this apron at Party City and just had to get it for Jason.



After dinner I opened gifts. Of course I had my trusty helpers, Millie and Merrill, by my side :)

Candles and lotions from Erin!

How cute is Merrill in her hula skirt that we got for the girls in Maui?! We had a cd of Luau songs playing and she was dancing around the house all night!

Love these lanterns from Jason's parents

Sisters :)

Jason's dad and sister

My favorite little girls

Millie and Erin were friends ;)

Later in the evening our friends joined the party. We had a great time catching up with everyone and playing around with this:

Another Party City find. How could I resist?
Emily and Joe

Jake and Shannon

Scott and Millie

Me and Jason

Jason and Pat

It was pretty entertaining!
Of course no party at our house is complete without a trip to the karaoke bar down the street Double D's.

I had a great time celebrating my birthday with our friends and family. Thank you to everyone who helped make it such a fun day!

1 comment:

Natalie said...

Happy Birthday! Gotta love karaoke at Double D's ;)

A luau is such a good party theme and your menu was perfect...must remember this! Maybe I'll do a luau in February when everyone is desperate for warmer weather ha!