Monday, February 7, 2011

Superbowl Snacks

Jason and I watched the Superbowl at my parent's house along with the whole family. It was a low key night which we was exactly what we wanted. Of course we had a great spread of snacks and pizza to enjoy as well. My contribution was Spinach, Artichoke Feta dip. I found the recipe on my favorite cooking blog. I love spinach/artichoke dip and I love feta cheese so I new that this dip would be a winner in my book. I've made it several times now and it always goes over well and it's super easy to make! I used reduced fat cream cheese and fat free sour cream and found that it's still full of flavor with less fat :)

Spinach Artichoke Feta Dip
adapted from several recipes
Makes an 8x8 dish

10-ounce package frozen spinach, thawed and drained
8-ounce package cream chese, softened
can of artichoke hearts, drained and chopped
1 cup sour cream
1 1/2 cups feta cheese, crumbled
2 cloves garlic, minced

Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.

Mix all ingredients in large bowl except 1/2 cup cheese. Put mixture into 8x8 baking dish. Sprinkle remaining 1/2 cup cheese over top.

Bakes for 20 minutes or until bubbly. Serve with pita chips or cracker of choice!


Although I didn't make this next recipe for the Superbowl, it would be great for game night or any night for that matter! BBQ Chicken Pizza has quickly become Jason's favorite meal that I make. I found this recipe on the same blog as the dip but it originally comes from California Pizza Kitchen so you know it's going to be good! The original recipe calls for gouda cheese while the one below uses blue cheese. I opted for a shredded blend of smoked gouda, cheddar and mozzarella from Trader Joes. I waited in line for 10 minutes just to get one bag of it! It's perfect with this pizza! This is a must try recipe!

BBQ Chicken Pizza

Makes 1 10" pizza

1 chicken breast or 1/2 pound chicken tenders
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/2 cup BBQ sauce, divided
pizza dough, homemade or store-bought (I use Boboli Whole Wheat Crust)
2 tablespoons crumbled blue cheese
1 cup shredded mozzarella
1/2 cup red onion, sliced (caramelized, if desired)
2 tablespoons fresh cilantro

Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Prepare pizza stone or baking sheet.

Heat oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add chicken and cook thoroughly. Remove from heat and cool slightly, coat with 1/4 cup BBQ sauce. Cut into bite-sized pieces.

Form dough into 10" crust. Spread remaining 1/4 cup BBQ sauce evenly onto crust, leaving small border around edges. Sprinkle blue cheese and 1/2 cup mozzarella over crust. Add chicken, red onion, remaining mozzarella, and cilantro.

Bake for 10 minutes or until crust is slightly browned. Cool slightly before slicing.


Hope everyone had a great Superbowl Sunday!

1 comment:

Shannon said...

Don't you want my recipe for "Healthy Gingerbread Cake" to share?! ;) thanks for letting us join the party!