Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Boston

I spent Memorial Day weekend visiting one of my best friends, Michaela, in Boston. Michaela and I grew up together. We became friends in grade school and lived down the street from each other for most of our lives. 3 years ago Michaela followed her dreams to Boston and while I was sad to see her go, I was proud of her for taking that leap and moving to a new city. I finally found the time to make the trip out to see what Boston and her life there is like. We had the best time!

I arrived in Boston Saturday afternoon and Michaela picked me up from the airport complete with a welcome sign and Boston Red Sox t-shirt! What a welcome! It started raining a bit so we drove around the city and Michaela pointed out all the hot spots and gave me the history of the different neighborhoods.
Harvard

Fenway Park - I'd love to go back and go to a game sometime!

Saturday evening we ordered dinner in and relaxed for a bit before heading out in Southie where Michaela lives. I was so excited to go to the bars that I always hear about, The Playwright and Boston Beer Garden. After the bars closed we weren't quite ready to end the night so we headed to Murphy's Law - a late night bar where Gone Baby Gone was also filmed. We had a great time catching up over drinks and ended up staying up til 5 in the morning talking back at Michaela's apartment. Apparently we had a lot to catch up on and didn't even realize how late it was until we noticed that it was getting light outside!
Michaela and I

At Murphy's Law

And us again :)

Sunday we got up and Michaela took me on the walking tour of the city. We stopped and got some coffee and headed off. I loved that we could walk everywhere and walk we did! I wish I had a pedometer because I would bet we walked close to 1o miles! It was so much fun to see all the different parts of Boston. It's a very diverse city with a lot to offer.
Walking into the city

A cute fireman stopped and took our picture ;)


Such a pretty skyline

Street performer in Faneuil Hall

We stopped and had lunch at the Purple Shamrock - clam chowder and calamari. Had to have some good seafood!
More of the city skyline

Boston Common

A touching reminder of what Memorial Day is really about


We stopped at Cheers for a beer!
An obvious tourist


The cast

Michaela and Norm

You wanna go where everyone knows your name...

After an appetizer and sangria at Cactus Club we decided to take the bus back to Michaela's apartment instead of walking. Our poor little feet were done! We rested for a bit then headed to a bbq and to Shenanigan's for a few drinks.

Monday we took a day trip to Newburyport - an adorable little town on the water. We visited Michaela's Aunt who lives there and walked around downtown which was full of cute shops and restaurants. We had a delicious lunch at Agave and finished off our afternoon with an ice cream cone ;) Even though this was one of my favorite parts of the trip, I seemed to have forgotten to take any pictures.

Monday night, my last night in Boston, we bar hopped around Boston and had a great time. We went to the L Street Tavern where Good Will Hunting was filmed.




Thank you Michaela for being such a great hostess and showing me an amazing time in Boston!!

No comments: