I mentioned in my list of 32 "I" statements that Jason and I recently signed up for a half marathon in October. What was I thinking you ask? Well, I'm beginning to wonder the same thing myself! Yesterday marked the completion of my first official week of training using this training schedule. I went into this thinking it would be a great challenge and that it would provide me the motivation I need to get back into shape after boycotting the gym for the past couple of months. And so far that has been the case but I think I underestimated just how big of a challenge this is going to be for me.
My ultimate goal for the half marathon is just to complete it. That in itself will be a huge accomplishment. But I've also set another goal for myself - to run the whole thing. This is where the biggest challenge is going to come in and something I'm already questioning if I can actually do. I'm used to running on a treadmil and incorporating walking breaks as needed. I've never really tried to keep running continuously for more than a couple of miles. Now, I'm training outside (when the weather permits) which is taking some getting used to and trying to not allow myself walking breaks other than a warm up and cool down. I'm doing pretty good and this week was able to run 3 miles consecutively (on the treadmil) on two of my training days. Then comes Sunday, which is reserved for the 'long' runs. These long runs are crucial to training and increase in mileage the closer you get to race day. My longest run will be 10 miles. They say that adrenaline will take you through the last 3.1 miles the day of the race. This week the long run was 4 miles. No big deal. If I can run 3 I can easily run 4. Eh, not so much.
Jason and I decided to head out for our run at 2:00 Sunday afternoon. Mistake number 1. It was HOT! After two and half miles I was convinced I wouldn't make it. I was breathing hard and I think I told Jason my body was on fire and that maybe this was mistake. Jason being the good coach and training partner that he is told me to take a water break and get my breathing back to normal. We walked about a tenth of a mile and then picked it up again, but at a slower pace this time. I had started off too fast - mistake number 2 - and combined with the heat it really caught up with me. I was able to finish the remaining mile and half running at slower pace. Let me tell how happy I was to be done with those 4 miles! At this point, I can't even imagine what it will feel like to complete 13.1.
So week 1 done! Week 2 is a repeat of week 1 so I will face those 4 miles again next weekend. I am really hoping that it will be a little easier next time and I'm hoping I won't have to take a break and will be able to run the whole thing. I have to learn to pace myself without the numbers on a treadmil. I have to learn to listen to my body and find that magic pace that I can sustain. It's not going to be easy, but I am up for the challenge! Hopefully I will look like this by the race day!
Monday, July 19, 2010
1/2 Marathon Training: Week 1
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
I am very impressed. The most that I have done is run a couple of 5 K's and I was not a fan. Too much pressure....
Running outside is different than running on the treadmill - I like it better, but I think it's harder. It's nice to have someone to run with - it makes the time go faster. Good luck and let us know how it's going.
Patti
Oh my gosh! I am tired just reading this! :)
Keep us posted!
Post a Comment