Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Restaurant of the Month: H

As soon as I knew H was my pick, I knew exactly where I wanted to go. Harvest. This was my 3rd time dining at Harvest and Kelly's first. I love this place! It has become one of my favorite restaurants in St. Louis. It has a cozy atmosphere in the main dining room with a big fire place and the side room has very romantic feel with vines and lights strung across the ceiling. Harvest specializes in seasonal market cuisine. Their menu changes with the seasons and they strive to use sustainable agricultural products and fresh organic produce. The quality of the ingredients comes through in the food. I have loved everything I've ever eaten here.

Kelly and I each ordered a glass of wine: Savignon Blanc for her and Pinot Grigio for me. We ordered a Mixed Organic Field Greens Salad with Balsamic Vinaigrette and Herbed Cheese Toast to split and while we waited for it enjoyed the bread basket. I love the bread at Harvest. It always tastes like it's fresh out of the oven and they serve it with different flavored butters - this time a honey butter and a black bean paste both of which were very good! The salad was also very good. It was simple and fresh.

On to dinner. Kelly chose a chicken dish from the Spa Menu which is Harvest's answer to today’s demand to eat healthy. No butter or cream are used with these menu items and they are extremely low in fat and cholesterol. The chicken was served with mashed sweet potatoes and spinach. I ordered Gnudi Ricotta which is ricotta-parmesan gnocchi - just ricotta and Parmesan: no flour, no potato, no egg - yes please! Kelly and I shared our meals since we wanted to try a bit of everything. Both dishes were delicious! Despite being very healthy, the chicken dish was full of flavor and didn't taste low fat at all. I had never had Gnudi before and I'm glad I decided to try it. It was amazing! Not low fat I'm sure as it's basically a ball of cheese, but so delicious! The gnudi was served over a bed of spaghetti squash that was the best I've ever had. We ate every last bite of both meals! Unfortunately, we didn't leave room for dessert, but if you go to Harvest you have to get the bread pudding. I've had it on a previous visit and it is to die for!

This isn't the Gnudi I had, but gives you and idea. Tell me that doesn't look delicious.
Another successful dinner club outing. I highly recommend Harvest!

No comments: