After narrowing down several restaurants, this month I chose Flaco's Cocina for dinner club. Flaco's is located at 170 and Delmar and features Caribbean and Latin cuisine with a South Beach flair. Or in simpler terms, Mexican food. I will say though that Flaco's is different than your traditional Mexican restaurants in St. Louis like Hacienda or El Maguey. The food was very fresh and light - not greasy at all. There are a lot of fish and seafood options on the menu in addition to the standard chicken or beef which I liked. The restaurant itself is not very big but is colorfully decorated with local artwork and has a good sized covered deck on the front which is where Kelly and I sat.


We started off the evening with drinks and their home made guacamole. Kelly had a margarita and said it was very tasty while I enjoyed a glass of the sangria which was also very good, although a little sweet to drink very many. The guacamole is made to order with big chunks of fresh avocado and tomato. I love guacamole and really enjoyed this chunky version. We also enjoyed a complimentary basket of chips and salsa. The salsa was also good. Not the best I've had, but good.
For dinner, Kelly had the Lobster Empanadas, flaky empanada ravioli stuffed with lobster, shrimp, and scallops, drizzled with a saffron coconut cream sauce. I tried a bite and they were delicious! I opted for the special that night: an organic zucchini stuffed with shrimp, scallops and lobster (I think) with a romesco sauce. It was served with saffron rice and black beans. It was similar to a Chili Relleno, only made with a zucchini instead of a green pepper. It was awesome! It was fresh and light. The seafood inside was cooked just right and the sauce was not overpowering.
The service was great. Our waitress was really nice but not annoying. The owner came around to the tables on the deck checking to make sure everyone was enjoying their meals. I will definitely go back to Flaco's the next time I am craving Mexican. I highly recommend it if you are looking for a new Mexican spot in St. Louis!
Wednesday, July 21, 2010
Restaurant of the Month: F
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
funny--I was just at Jilly's Cupcake Bar right across the street from there! I've always been curious about Flaco's and now I'm excited to try. Great review :)
Thanks for making me hungry! I think we need to take a road trip to StL soon.
Post a Comment